One afternoon on a stroll I spotted two metal deck planters in someone’s trash. I picked them up and carried them home. I cleaned the rust spots off with a wire brush then painted them.
They needed liners but those are expensive so I pulled out some fabric I had on hand, organic duck upholstery fabric, and used that instead.
To save even more money I filled them with seeds instead of live plants. I’ve got Forget-me-nots and Alyssum, the blue and white will look nice against the white rails when they sprout.
We had a lot of rain right after I put these out and you can see the fabric allowed the excess water to filter through the fabric nicely.
Total cost: I had paint and soil on hand which left me with a total expenditure of $1.00 for seeds.