Time to get caught up on sharing with you all the projects we worked on this summer. Today I want to show you the latest updates in the kitchen. Before I do I thought you might like a peek into my day so far. First thing this morning little guy arrived with his mom to drop off some supplies I needed and their dog – they are taking a weekend trip.
Little guy found the last of this year’s strawberries. This bed was planted just for the children and it’s a good thing because I might have had a dozen berries all summer from this bed – when they were willing to share with me. 🙂
Once they left I got to work finishing a table I was refinishing and painting the ramps and stairs to complete the deck project. I’ll get that written up and share it in a day or two. Taking a break to write this I brought Elsa in with me and gave her newest toy hoping she would let me work. This is what I looked up to find less than five minutes after we settled in. (please ignore the drying laundry behind her)
Back to the kitchen. The awkward empty space is no longer awkward or empty.
This is my new pantry and a window we found under the porch repurposed as art and storage for cups.
This corner was perfect for a six in deep shelf which left the door casing exposed so the shelf didn’t overpower the doorway. The space was 49.5 inches wide and was just screaming to be used instead of sitting empty. The top two shelves are perfectly sized to hold quart canning jars while the bottom two are generous enough to hold the gallon sized jars I store my dried beans and staples in.
The pantry isn’t quite finished but that will involve another trip to the store. When I picked up the pine boards I held my grandson while his mom loaded the boards into the cart. I was positive I told her to grab seven of them but when I began the project I found there were only six. I went ahead and cut down the boards and assembled what I could on a warm sunny day.
I need to pick up one more board to add a top then find some fabric, knowing me I’ll use a piece of a drop cloth and some ring hooks to add a curtain.
The back of the shelf I added eight cedar boards I found under the shed, I have a ninth one ready but need it cut in half before attaching. I had thought the cedar fence boards would fit perfectly with no extra cutting because the one I measured was 5.5 inches wide. Unfortunately, I found out they are not all the same width when I was trimming them down. Anyway, to dress up the back I used the last of my chalkboard paint to paint them and make it pop.
Some of you may be asking why I bothered to add a back to this and the simple answer is that because of the length of the shelves, four feet, and the fact that I used soft pine boards that are just shy of an inch thick (1X6) I wanted to be sure they wouldn’t begin to sag over time holding all those jars.
Originally, I had planned to paint the pine boards with white milk paint to give it that old, antique look but milk paint isn’t carried at any of the stores I’ve checked in the area. Ordering it online a small packet of milk paint would cost me $10 plus another $10 for shipping. Not worth the cost in my view.
Total cost for the shelf (including the last pine board) was $20.93.
An Old Window
I love old windows, they have so much more character than the replacement windows we find available today. When I had my family members help me clean out the trash on the small porch and under it we found a few of the original windows shoved under it. I was so excited I asked that they be placed in the shed until I had time to work with them.
I have one window in the living room that I cleaned up and added a poster behind for a good-sized art piece. But I wanted one in the kitchen that would hold favorite pictures and be a place to hang my cups from.
I cleaned all the old chipping paint off the window but left much of the original paint around the glass panes to keep that “old” look. I love everything about how this window looks. But it’s not just how it looks that makes me smile, everything added to the window mean something. While I had the window cleaned up, I waited until my grandchildren came down in June so they could help me add the pictures. Let me show you the details.
This is a close up of the top row. All pictures were added to the back of the glass using Modge Podge glue, and it was this step the children did with me. Starting on the left is a twenty-eight year old photo of my sons. In the picture they are one and four. On the far right is a post card my youngest granddaughter brought back to me from her vacation last summer. And in the middle is a picture I clipped a while back out of a magazine.
The only item I knew had to be in the window was the one in the middle. This is the front of a card my son and his wife gave me for Mother’s Day this year. As soon as I opened the card and saw the tea cup and tea bag I knew it was one of the pieces I needed to complete this window. The photos on either side were chosen by the grand children out of a folder of images I saved from magazines passed to me over the years that were too pretty to toss out.
Finally the cups. The three cups with the autumn leaves were a present from my daughter-in-law while she was still dating my son. I thought it was impressive that she had only known me two years (while I lived in Arizona) but still knew how much I loved autumn colors. The other cup is one my other son bought and gave me when he was stationed in Washington D.C. with the Honor Guard when he was active military. The image is of the White House and when you put hot liquids in the cup fireworks behind the White House show up.
Total cost for the window project: $7.12 I already had everything but the wire to hang the window securely on the wall and the large cup hooks.
One final note about the window, my daughter-in-law has decided this is her to a T and keeps telling me she wants it. If I ever need to pass it on I know where it will go. 🙂