I have been thinking about success. When most people talk about success it’s either in relation to reaching a goal in their workplace, a major weight loss, finally purchasing the dream house with all the bells and whistles they can imagine, or some other monetary wish.
Isn’t it sad to think that for all the advances we have made in the world that success is still mostly defined by money? We have forgotten the old saying that “money can’t buy happiness” we believe it can.
If I had gotten my dream, I would have been traveling the world, single and carefree with money to blow on anything I wanted. What I have instead is a tiny home that I don’t even own, a place to sit in the sun, water to watch the sun set over, good friends, and the most important element family I love and loves me.
So I decided to look at success differently. Here is how I think we should define success, for true happiness:
- realizing you have more love than you could have ever imagined
- having people you can love in return
- having your needs met
- having time to pursue your interests
- embracing and accepting who you are, knowing you are the best you can be at this moment in time
- having work you look forward to (paid or volunteer)
- having or restoring your health
- enjoying each day, without a heavy burden of stress
- knowing you are living a life that honors your values
I found an interesting article on Dumb Little Man that defines success by the qualities in a person. You can check it out here.
Am I successful? Most definitely I am, but not according to the current definition most hold. How do you view success?